Prime Minister Narendra Modi led a mega event in Jharkhand capital Ranchi to celebrate the fifth edition of International Yoga Day. The Prime Minister said the government has been working to make yoga a pillar of preventive healthcare and wellness. Expressing concern that the youth was increasingly becoming vulnerable to heart ailments, the PM said, Yoga can play a huge role in tackling the issue and hence, this year’s theme is ‘Yoga for Heart’.
Also Read: Catch Live Updates: International Yoga Day 2019 celebrations
Initiated with a proposition by Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi, June 21 was proclaimed International Yoga Day by the United Nations on Dec. 11, 2014. The aim of worldwide recognition was to primarily raise awareness on the benefits of YOGA.
Yoga is an ancient physical, mental and spiritual practice that originated in India. The word ‘yoga’ is derived from Sanskrit and means to join or to unite, symbolizing the union of body and consciousness.Yoga is a physical, mental and spiritual practice that evolved over thousands of years to embrace a wide range of styles and disciplines, aims to transform the human body and mind. It is a science that is designed to cultivate health and happiness, a greater sense of awareness and higher consciousness. So, Yoga is an ascetic discipline which is practiced for good health and relaxation.
Some people think Yoga is only a physical exercise. No, it’s not true. Yoga is a science, it is a systematic process which gradually dissolve all the illusions of mind so that the mind becomes a dynamic center of direct perceptions. Through this practice one can understand and experience the supreme Truth that God is within us. So we shall have to offer something spiritual to our mind and soul and if we stop giving, it will revolt. This ancient spiritual science offers a calmer, happier and more fulfilled life for a person. It is said in the Bible; “Be still and know that I am God. ” In these few words lies the key to the science of Yoga.
Today it is practiced in various forms around the world and continues to grow in popularity. Recognizing its universal appeal, on 11 December 2014, the United Nations proclaimed 21 June as the International Day of Yoga. The International Day of Yoga aims to raise awareness worldwide of the many benefits of practicing yoga.
Why 21st June is chosen for celebrating International Day of Yoga?
21 June is the day to pay homage to the Sadgurus. This is also the day of the summer solstice. During the June Solstice, the North Pole is tilted towards the Sun or we can say that when the sun begins to move from north to south. From Yoga’s perspective, this time is the transition period, i.e. a better time for meditation. At the time of Sankranti or Uttarayan (around 21st June), the Adiyogi (the first yogi) left towards south, and first he saw the 7 royal sages who further became his first disciples. They propagated the science of yoga in many parts of the world. It is amazing that 21st June marks this important event in human history. This date in the Northern Hemisphere is also the longest day of the year and it has special significance in many parts of the world.
Why International Yoga Day?
Celebrating yoga day all over the world as World Yoga Day or International Day of Yoga on 21st of June every year was declared by the United Nations General Assembly on 11th of December 2014. The declaration was done after the call by the Indian Prime Minister, Narendra Modi to the United Nations General Assembly on 27th of September in 2014 during his address to the UN General Assembly. He called the United Nations General Assembly for adopting 21st of June as an International Yoga Day to get all the benefits of yoga for the people all around the world.
Narendra Modi has said during his address to the UN General Assembly that “Yoga is an invaluable gift of India’s ancient tradition. It embodies the unity of mind and body; thought and action; restraint and fulfillment; harmony between man and nature; a holistic approach to health and well-being. It is not about exercise but to discover the sense of oneness with yourself, the world and nature. By changing our lifestyle and creating consciousness, it can help us deal with climate change. Let us work towards adopting an International Yoga Day.”
The declaration of International Day of Yoga is the great moment for India in the history. It took less than three months to be declared as the World Yoga Day by the United Nations General Assembly. Narendra Modi had called for it on the 27th of September in 2014 which was finally declared on 11th of December 2014. It was the first ever in the history that the initiative of any country has been proposed and implemented in the UN body within 90 days. This resolution has been adopted under the Global Health and Foreign Policy by the General Assembly in order to provide a holistic approach to the people worldwide for their health and well-being.
In order to create a great level of consciousness and positively changing the lifestyle of worldwide human population Indian PM, Mr. Narendra Modi has put his views for adopting a day especially for yoga while address to the United Nations General Assembly. He asked the world leaders for adopting international Yoga day to deal with the declining health because of negative climate changes. Especially, he suggested 21st of June for adopting the International Day of Yoga as this day is the longest day in Northern Hemisphere regions as well as of great significance for people in many parts of the world.
- Make people aware about the benefits of yoga and connect them with nature.
- To reduce the rate of health-challenging diseases in the world.
- Spreading growth, development and peace throughout the world.
- Making people aware about physical and mental illnesses and providing solutions through yoga.- It also aims to develop a habit of meditation for peace of mind, self-awareness which is necessary to survive in a stress-free environment.
- To let people know their rights of good health and healthy lifestyle to completely enjoy the highest standard of physical health.
- To bring communities much closer together to spend a day for health from busy schedule.
- To strengthen the global coordination among people through yoga.
- To make people aware of physical and mental diseases and its solutions through practicing yoga.
- To reduce the rate of health challenging diseases all over the world.
- To win over all the health challenges through regular yoga practice.
- To link between protection of health and sustainable health development.
WORLD YOGA DAY THEME
2019 Theme of International Yoga Day is “Climate Action”. Practicing yoga can provide a solution to climate change . Yoga emphasis on holding postures and slowing down which creates an internal balance between body and mind. It creates harmony between ourselves and nature. Irresponsible human actions are causing harm to the planet which results in a drastic change in climatic conditions. So, the UN has decided to raise awareness about climate actions through practicing yoga which connects our body soul with nature and invoke actions towards earth changing the climate.
- Theme of World Yoga Day 2019 is “Climate Action”.
- Theme of World Yoga Day 2018 was “Yoga for Peace”.
- Theme of 2017 was “Yoga For Health”.
- Theme of 2016 was “Connect the Youth”.
- Theme of 2015 was “Yoga For Harmony And Peace”.
BENEFITS OF YOGA
- Yoga is very necessary and beneficial for you if it is practiced on a daily basis in the morning. It is a combined workout of the mind and body which enhances your brain functions, reduces stress and rejuvenates your body and soul.
- Yoga is beneficial for the mental, physical and emotional development of children.
- In this world of fierce competition, yoga helps to reduce stress and tension.
- It helps you to gain flexibility, manage stress, improves posture, memory and concentration.
- Apart from these benefits, yoga also helps in flexibility of spine, induces relaxation and strengthens lower back.
Thus on a final note, yoga helps you to achieve the perfect harmony between your mind, body and soul. It drives away all negativity from your system and promotes in the achievement of a healthy and a happy life.